Monday, March 8, 2010

course is laid and the anchor weighed

I feel that a blog is the best way to mass communicate with people. Email newsletters are annoying. This way, if you want to keep up with my trip, you can, but it won’t be forced on you. I’ll try to keep it as interesting as possible, and use many pictures to make y’all jealous.

So, if you’re just tuning in, I got a job playing the violin in a string quartet on a cruise ship, for four months. We will play lovely, classy background music a few hours each evening. We're going down to the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, then up to Alaska.

The preparation is the hardest part about leaving on a voyage. I will be gone for almost exactly 4 months, and although I can buy things I need on the ship, it would be better/cheaper to arrive as prepared as possible. I have so many lists going on right now: things to buy, things to not forget, people to see before I leave, things to finish before I leave, stuff going into storage, stuff going home to be cared for by my parents. So many forms to fill out, and clothes to make sure I have. So many things that are possibly overlooked. This is a rough few weeks for someone who is a poor multi-tasker.

So, as stressful as it is now, I am absolutely looking forward to actually leaving.

On the 20th of March I am leaving this city that I love, taking some things to my parent’s house in Maryland. (like my car and my instruments that I’m not taking – things I can’t put into storage)

On the 24th of March, we are flying to Colombia. Once I meet up with my quartet I will feel a lot better about things. I have this paranoia about getting lost by myself in a Spanish speaking country (donde esta el bano?)

No comments:

Post a Comment