Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Series of Interesting Events: Pt. 1 The Cities

I met a girl about two years ago. She is a friend of my friend Jason (also from Minneapolis), and she slept on my couch when she came down to Nashville to visit him. I didn't see much of her, but she was friendly and fun and we became friends on facebook. Fast forward to the point where she is the ONLY one excited that I'm moving to Minnesota, because she lives on my side of the city (so a nice 40 minute drive instead of an hour and a half to the other side of Minneapolis, where Jason lives). So, we had a dinner date and then we were going to a get together at Jason's house because he happened to be in town (even though we hung out right before I left, it was nice to see someone I actually know up here instead of people I'm just starting to meet).

I left a couple hours early. I figured I would leave time enough for me to get lost and found again, and with my time to kill I could enjoy some brief civilization and see what stores I ran into that I can't find in my little town of Red Wing (which is basically anything thats not Target or Walmart) (Or JC Penney's). I thought perhaps I'd go to Ikea, and quickly decided not to, realizing that I'd spend money there for sure, if I went. My aim was a Kohl's or something similar (btw, huge perk to living in Minnesota is no tax on clothes or shoes!!)

I did indeed get lost.
My ancient GPS was no help. She told me I shouldn't stay out late tonight anyway, I might as well give up, and promptly directed me back to Red Wing.
I disagreed, and headed in the direction that I knew was towards the cities. Soon, I found where I was.

Ikea.


So I bought a kitchen table and a lamp.
But that's not the point of the story.

I met Karen for dinner at Chipotle, and then we went to Dunn Bros coffee (which is apparently a Minnesota thing that everyone should do - they don't have one in Red Wing, all we have is a Caribou Coffee. And I've heard tell of a Starbucks though I have not seen it) And then we headed over to Jason's house. It was supposedly a get together of all his friends, the night before he left to head back to Nashville. There were four of us, so we hung out with his parents and ate cookies and sat around a bonfire til I got tired and left.

It was lovely. So, I didn't really get to hang out in the cities at all, besides going to Chipotle. But it was really nice to see people I knew after a week of moving in and staring at my walls with no internet.

Stay tuned for Parts 2-4 of the interesting events, as well as an exciting post dedicated to my classes, which involve trees and power tools! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment