Saturday, December 4, 2010

21

First real snow of the winter! We've gotten lots of "snow" but nothing substantial til today.
I woke up this morning with that child-like urgency to rush to the window and confirm my expectations that the world outside would be covered in glittery white, sunshine bouncing off every crystal, making even the dumpsters out back of JC Penney look lovely (the view from my bedroom window).

It was so. The next child-like instinct was to make hot chocolate, but the adult instinct was to go make sure they hadn't towed my car in order to snow plow our parking lot. There are signs up everywhere that say if your car isnt moved by 9am they will tow it. It turns out that this is crap. No one moves their cars, and so they just plow the road part of the parking lot, not the spaces themself. So, this left me to my adventure of the day: Clearing snow off of the car:


And then brave the roads to go (one block over) to target. I forgot my phone, and that freaked me out a little. Then I realized that if I get stuck, I'm less than half a mile from my apartment. And warmly dressed.

To update you on the success of my winter clothing preparations:
Boots – check! They were warm and cozy even when tromping through snow that was as high as they were.
Wool Socks – I only own one pair, but they definitely did the job right. (hint: Christmas present)
Long Johns – best. Invention. Ever.
Jeans – well of course. I’m not just going to go running around in just long johns.
Large fuzzy comfy sweater – check!
White fleece scarf – check! Both warm and pretty :)
Green winter pea-trench-coat – check! But what about the gloriously poofy down coat you just bought, you ask? Well, that one works beyond well, but its only 20 out there, so I knew I’d be ok with the sweater and the scarf and the peacoat. I mostly needed to be protected from the snow, since it wasn’t too very cold.
Hat – warm fuzzy, very soft black hat from Columbia sportswear – CHECK. Best hat in the world. I win.
Gloves – NOT check. Grr. I have a glove conundrum that has been ongoing my whole life. My problem is that I have child sized hands. They make ski gloves for kids, that would be warm enough. But they don’t make classy adult-looking gloves for kids. So I end up getting gloves that are slightly too big and still not warm enough. Maybe I’ll just stick to mittens.

So, the plan for the day: many hot chocolates and hot toddies and warm blankets and popcorn and movies, and I'm making a stew for tonight. Yum. I am very sad that Boyfriend has left and can’t be here to do nothing with me, but he has work to do, and so c’est la vie.

Oh, and,
here is my December Photo Project photo of the day:
as long as you love me so, let it snow. 

1 comment: