Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Failure

It was Thomas Edison that said, “I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.”

I have discovered one way in particular that does not make good sourdough bread. I tried, but I came up with something decent, although too heavy and not very sourdoughy. (Still made a good PBJ sandwich for lunch today though!) It is sort of vaguely sour, but mostly just tastes like white bread.
It looks pretty, at least. 

Some found it amusing that I had to stand on a steppy stool in order to get enough leverage to knead the dough properly:



So instead of posting a whole blog on how NOT to do it, I'm going to just try again this week and then post it when it DOES work. Good thing we have Plan B and Plan C for this Tasty Tuesday!


I also made some yummy spinach dip to go with my (notsourdough) bread, and it turned out just perfectly. I guess that's what happens when you use an idiotproof recipe on the back of a Knorrs Vegetable seasoning packet.
10oz package of spinach
16oz package of sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise (I used less than a cup)
Knorrs Vegetable Packet
That’s all.
Mix thoroughly and dip whatever you want in it, because anything will be good. Especially crusty bread right out of the oven. Even if it isn’t sourdoughy.

then

Om nom.


While the bread was cooking, I took inspiration from this blog (sent to me from this sister) (who just arrived here in Minnesota to visit me! yay!) and tried roasting a garlic clove. I happened to have all the ingredients (a clove of garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper)

All you do is chop off the head so you can see all the brains.


Drizzle olive oil into the cracks, and salt and pepper the whole darn thing. I really enjoy having a pepper grinder with different levels of coarseness! I had the grinder a whole year before I discovered that it was something I could control, and I think it’s the coolest.

Wrap in foil and roast at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until it’s tender and spreadable ish.

It was good. It wasn’t amazing. I coulda put more salt and pepper on it, was the general consensus. I think it would be best if I had something like pasta to put it in, instead of just eating it on bread – that would make it more useful.

Anyway, it was interesting and fun, and I had some taste testers that gave me very valuable feedback!

Like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment