Thursday, February 17, 2011

Quilt!

Eliz and I have talked for a few years about making quilts together, but we had never been able to gather enough time to do it. But this week of visiting was the perfect amount of free time! Over the weekend, we drove far away to (the closest) JoAnn's to buy fabric. And ate lunch at the closest Chipotle (which neither C nor E had ever tried before!). (Maybe someday I will rant about how lame it is to live so far away from civilization - I like the small townness but I would prefer closer proximity to the cities) (that's really it, now I don't have to write a whole rant about it.)

Let me Tarantino it for you! Here is the end result:


And here is the rest of it. Don't worry, everything is in order from here!
Here are the pretty fabrics we used. 


Warshing the batting!


Pretty things. 


this machine did a great job until that there light burnt my wrist at the stake.
(dont worry. minimal scarring)

Black and white plaid sews darkbrown and white Irish chain. 


top row done! hooray!


Eliz ironed the things and handed them to me and I sewed them. 
We had a whole "draped over the chair" system that pretty well took care of business.


Had to make 50 billion of these squares. So many squares. 
It's a good thing my brain thinks in squares. 



and a toga party. 


at the end of day 2.


getting there!

the whole top done! 
the hard part hasnt even started yet. 


I look super goofy, only because I was trying to be the statue of liberty. 


laid out the back, the batting, and the front. 
spread, pinned, sewed. 
grueling, but rewarding!


glamour shots of the fantastic quilting job. 



The end! And I'm so very pleased with how it turned out! 

6 comments:

  1. LOVE it! beautiful fabrics! it could be reversible as a coverlet on the other side, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you write "warshed" in my honor?

    (And I have a scar on my wrist from that same light bulb.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! And way to go introducing them to Chipotle. Its really a tragedy that hadn't tasted the deliciousness yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. abby: good idea! yes, when we decided to quilt instead of tack, i knew you'd be proud.
    mum: yes, warshed was aimed directly at you :)
    eliz: could not have done it without you!
    natalie: i'm taking commissions!
    emily: thanks! i know, the world is a better place now that they have finally been there.

    ReplyDelete