Saturday, January 29, 2011

Minnesota in the Winter

We haven't seen the sun in a week and it's taking a toll on all of our heads. Everyone is cranky, although it has warmed up considerably this week! It has actually been in the 20s and 30s, and things are getting slushy and melty. (As opposed to this time last week, when it was -20, and the car would barely start. (and when it did, it was crankier than the people here) So, you know its cold when 30 degrees feels quite warm and spring-y

So, the other problem is that my friends and I are all pretty poor college students, which means we dont have a lot of money to do awesome wintery things like skiing.

For a broke college student, the things we end up doing that cost little/no money are:
Eat. (Sometimes we grill in two feet of snow - we do love our brats)
Drink. (beer. have I told you how important beer is to these north-mid-westerners?)
Watch TV/movies. (this one pretty much explains itself)
Play games. (Especially Euchre and Rummy. Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne)

And then there's my favorite, the sitting around, having watched a movie and played some games and now out of new things to do, I call it "Sitting around waiting for someone to exert an opinion or have an idea of something new to do that is indoors and also doesnt cost money" It's simple - all there is to it is to sit around, waiting for someone to exert an opinion or have an idea of something new to do - preferably one that doesnt cost money, and is indoors.

When I'm alone, I am a little more productive. I play a lot of violin, which is nice. Having no homework means plenty of practicing time.

And in the meantime, I get by with a little help from my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment