Monday, January 31, 2011

Music Monday!

I've been listening to a few new musics lately, and I want to share. My musical horizons have expanded so much, since moving up here. This is quite a different musical environment from Nashville, and of course meeting new people will automatically introduce you to different things.

First I discovered Mumford & Sons, by accident. They've been around a while - they're from the UK, but actually were discovered in the states a couple years ago, in Minneapolis. When they came through here with Cadillac Sky, I wanted to see them, because Cadillac Sky is very near and dear to my heart, and I wanted to see them regardless of who they were touring with. (Fortunately due to my super awesome connections within  c sky, Lauren and I were able to attend the sold out show, for free!)
Anyway, this is my favorite by them. White Blank Page.



Around the same time that I discovered the greatness of Mumford & Sons, I was also realizing that I was several years behind everyone else on the Regina Spektor bandwagon. A few years ago, everyone in the world was in love with her, which of course made me sniff disdainfully and write her off. But, as a wise person  so gracefully once pointed out to me, "things don't become popular by sucking." I apologize to her for taking so long to realize that I enjoy her a lot.


An artist I really like lately is Ida Maria. She is Norwegian, and shes got this great, gritty, rock-y voice, and she does such fun catchy things. Here is one for you:



Another group I haven't listened to a whole lot yet, but there are a few songs I really love: Beirut. They are American, from New Mexico, and they have this really wonderful sound with some accordion and brass. (and you all know how very much I love accordions) this song is a favorite, so beautiful and melancholy.


One last share, and this is for you classical geeks out there like me. Danny introduced this to me, and I think this is fantastic! It kind of speaks for itself. History of Western Classical Music stuffed into about 9 minutes of acapella glory.



That's all for now. Hope you've enjoyed!

Also, Happy FBIHD! :)

1 comment:

  1. If you like Beruit, have you ever sampled Calexico? Oh my goodness - they're delightful.

    ReplyDelete